Saturday, November 26, 2005

My Thankful View

Sure, every website you visit these days has some schmuck writing about why they are thankful this year. I guess if the malls can window dress on a seasonal basis than why not your favorite columnist. Well, this site will not be the exception, but of course I'll give a different spin.

What am I most thankful for these days? Simple, I thank the big guy upstairs for making sure I wasn't retained by the firm acquiring my current employer. Sure it is a little scary with a wife at home that needs medical treatment and two little kids, but what was the alternative? Bad benefits, a commute from hell (not the current one that sucks the life out of me), and trapped in an industry that I only joined because the Monster.com ad looked interesting. As a good friend of mine said, "Eric, it is time for a course correction". So, what has this change resulted in and why do I seem so happy?

  1. Severance and bonus that would take me to September 2006 if I had NO income coming in.
  2. I started my own website and this blog and considering I've been marketing on the internet since 1998, it is about time.
  3. A chance to start my own consulting business so I can work on interesting projects with interesting people of my own choosing.
  4. The consulting business lets me alleviate one source of anxiety, you know, the one where you can't control your own destiny no matter how hard you try and succeed at your current job.
  5. A chance to stay in touch with people that matter most to me and cut off the people that are obviously only interested in me because I could buy a lot of media from them.
  6. No more bad commutes.
  7. The world out there seems new to me again with a lot of possibilities - with all of the positions out there I feel like a kid in the candy shop.
  8. I always wanted to write a children's novel about time travel and now I'll have the time.
  9. I booked a trip to Disney World and didn't need to check with my boss first.
  10. For the first time since I left AT&T in June 2000, I feel like I belong somewhere; not with the unemployed of the country, but with people who work for themselves. You know, what the country really produces today - services.

Ok, so why did I really write this post today? It wasn't to brag about how good I feel, but it was meant to help anyone in a similar situation. Don't sit around waiting for something to happen or a mentor to pull you into a new position. Grow up and make your own luck and use the time and new found freedom to pursue something you always wanted to do, but a company's golden handcuffs prevented you from going after it. With a little luck, you too could have a cheesy website and a little

PardonMyFrench,

Eric

1 Comments:

At 11:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your comments resonate with me. I am not in your exact position but am facing a situation where I need to decide do I make corporate life my path or do I take control of my own destiny and go out on my own.

Feeling good at the end of the day is important and your words on making your future dreams a reality is the course I am going to pursue.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home